Creosote buildup causes chimney fireBy Bruce Whetten
Creosote buildup started a chimney fire Thursday night in the 800 block of Ninth Street.
According to Douglas Fire Chief Mario Novoa witnesses reported seeing blue and orange flames coming out of the chimney around 7:30 p.m. prompting several 911 calls.
Chief Novoa said his department was on the scene in a matter of minutes and was able to contain the fire to the chimney.
The chief added the tenants staying at the rented home said the fire place was their only source of heating and that the chimney had not been cleaned in several years.
“We were very lucky,” he said. “This was a wakeup call. Had this happened in the early morning hours we may not have been so lucky.”
The damage was contained to the chimney itself and the residents were able to return to the home later that evening.
The chief added its important those with chimneys have them cleaned and inspected regularly.