An early morning fire destroyed two downtown businesses Tuesday.
Upon arrival Douglas Fire Chief Mario Novoa immediately summoned help from both the Pirtleville and Sunnyside Fire Departments. The Elfrida Fire Dept. was also called in to assist if needed.
The fire began in a business, Marylu’s Salon, and quickly spread next door to a building that was once a pool hall but had since been converted into a church whose name is not available at press time.
Officials at the scene recall a fire in the former pool hall now converted into a church approximately five years ago.
Dense smoke filled the air causing breathing problems for many in the area. The local DARC which was located several hundred yards away from the blaze complained of smoke in their building.
Sgt. Jose Duarte of the Douglas Police Department said they were advised to open their windows and doors and to turn on the ceiling fans to help ventilate the smoke out of the tenants rooms. Duarte quickly pointed out that no evacuations took place.
These two stores make it three down town stores that have been destroyed by fire in the last 10 months.
What started the fire is still too early say, Chief Novoa said.
More details will be posted online as they become available.