The 2012 Douglas Fiestas to commemorate the Mexican Independence Day began this year with the 13th Annual China Poblana Selection Dance at the Bushmasters Club, Saturday Sept. 8.
This year’s China Poblana contestants. Back row left to right Kylie Grijalva, Francine Cornejo, Pricilla Chavez, Leslie Duarte, Ariana Hawkins, Cyqlalee Villa, Alyssa Maddux and Estrella Montoya. Front row left to right, Kassandra Herrera, Camila Marquez Jalynne Castaneda, Daniela Bernal Leilani Herrera and Jada Rockell Quijada. Trisha Maldonado/Douglas Dispatch
The contestants were: Toddler China Poblana age 2-4: Daniela Bernal, 4, Jalynne Castaneda, 3, Ariana Howkins, 3, Leilani Herra, 3, and Camila Marquez, 2. Little China Poblana, age 5-8: Kassandra Herrera, 5, Jada Rockell Quijada, 6, and Cyqlalee Villa, 5. Junior China Poblana, age 9-12: Leslie Duarte, 11 and Kylie Grijalva, 12. Teen China Poblana, age 13-16: Alyssa Maddux, 16 and Miss China Poblana, age 17-21: winner receives a $400 scholarship, Pricilla Chavez, 17, Francine Cornejo, 18 and Estrella Montoya, 19.
The winners of China Poblana were: Toddler China: Daniela Bernal; runner up Camila Marquez. Little China: Cyqlalee Villa; runner up Jada Rockell Quijada. Junior China: Leslie Duarte; runner up Kylie Grijalva. Teen China: Alyssa Maddux and Miss China Poblana 2012: Francine Cornejo; runner up Priscilla Chavez.
The contestants were judged 50 percent fundraising, 25 percent personality and 25 percent appearance.
Proceeds from the fundraising from both the China Poblana and the fiestas are donated to the Douglas Youth Cheer and Football League.
Gemma’s Dance Studio provided the intermission entertainment. Dance followed the announcement of the China’s with music provided by Grupo Sabroso.
Douglas Fiestas Coordinators, Donna and Howard Henderson invite all the community to attend and celebrate the 2012 Douglas Fiestas at the Veterans Memorial Park.
The calendar of events is as follows:
Friday, September 14
· 5 p.m. Booths and City of Fun Carnival opens
· 6 p.m. Opening ceremonies and China Poblana Coronation
· 7:30 p.m. Texaco Country Showdown. This is the largest country music talent search in America. For additional information go to www.TexacoCountryShowdown.com.
· 8:30 p.m. – 12 a.m. Dance to the music of "Gemini"
Saturday, September 15
· 10 a.m. Parade along G Avenue
· 12 p.m. Booths and City of Fun Carnival opens
· 3-5:30 p.m. Music by DJ Z
· 5:30 p.m. Performances by the Douglas Charger Cheerleaders
· 6:30 p.m. Join us for the official ceremony of the Independence of Mexico “Grito De Independencia" presented by the Mexican Consulate Oscar A. De La Torre Amezcua. Also participating will be various schools from Agua Prieta, including ballet Folklorico performances, and much, much more.
· 8:30 p.m.-12 a.m. Dance to Live Music by Grupo Sabroso
Sunday, September 16
· 12 p.m. Booths and City of Fun Carnival Opens
· 3- 6 p.m. Music by DJ Z
· 6 p.m. Gemma's Dance Studio
· 6:30-10:30 p.m. Dance to Live Music by Gemini