A report of a possible weapon at Douglas High School led to a two-and-a-half-hour lockdown Wednesday.

The call came in around 2 p.m., 45 minutes prior to school letting out, after the DPD was alerted by school faculty that there was a possibility a weapon was on campus.

“When officers arrived, we determined which classroom the suspected student was in,” Douglas Police Chief Kraig Fullen said in his report to the Douglas City Council Wednesday night. “We made contact with the student and the weapon was not found in their possession at that point.”

DPD Public Information Officer Jamilette Barrios added a safety sweep was done throughout the campus in an attempt to locate the weapon. Another safety sweep was done after the students and staff were allowed to leave campus shortly after 4:30 p.m.

Through the investigation it was determined the weapon had been on campus the day before (on Tuesday) but was not on campus on today (Wednesday), Barrios said.

“The students were kept on campus until the location of the weapon could be confirmed,” she added. “The measure was taken out of an abundance of caution for the safety of the students and faculty.”

No arrests were made but a couple of students were detained for investigative purposes, Barrios confirmed.

“The investigation is ongoing at this point,” the chief said. “I do want to commend the students and faculty for their patience and professionalism throughout as well as my own staff members as we try to bring this to a successful conclusion. It was a successful conclusion because everyone went home safe.”

The chief also commended the parents for their patience during the lockdown.

DHS principal Randy Walker said school will be held as scheduled on Thursday.

“DPD did a great job today,” he said.

Load comments