Guests staying at the Best Western Inn and Suites on Seventh Street were forced out of their rooms after the activation of a smoke alarm led to a response from the Douglas Fire Department on Thursday, Nov.21.

According to Douglas Fire Department spokesman Lt. Matt King at 9:21 p.m. the DFD received a call for a possible smoke alarm activation and responded to the scene with an engine, its ladder truck, and an ambulance.

“The initial crew on scene saw what appeared to be smoke coming from some hallway windows,” Lt. King said. “Fire crews entered the building and proceeded to evacuate (everyone) and search for any possible fire. After about an hour it was determined that there was no threat to the public and the employees and clients were let back into the hotel.”

King stated that about 40 people were staying at the Best Western at the time of the alarm.

“The investigation is still being finalized, so I cannot tell you the source of the problem at this time, but I do want to reiterate that there is no hazard to the public,” Lt. King told the Douglas Dispatch. “We had 10 personnel on scene with additional personnel at the station to cover any additional emergencies in the city.”

The scene was cleared shortly before 11 p.m. and residents were allowed to return to their rooms.

Load comments